Gobal Business Company Category 1
A resident corporation which proposes to conduct business outside Mauritius may apply to the Financial Services Commission (FSC) for a Category 1 Global Business Licence.
It can be organized as a collective investment scheme, global fund, protected cell company, a trust or an investment holding company.
A GBC 1 is considered to be a tax resident in Mauritius and therefore can take advantage of the DTA network. A GBC 1 company is liable to Mauritian Tax at 15% on its chargeable profits. It is entitled to a tax credit amounting to :
a) an automatic 80%, or
b) the withholding tax paid, or
c) the deemed tax credit
which ever is higher, resulting in a maximum effective tax rate of 3%.
It can access Mauritius' network of 43 Double Tax Avoidance Treaties (DTAs) and carry out any business activity such as:
· Asset Management
· Credit finance
· Custodian services (non-CIS)
· Distribution of financial products,
· Factoring, Leasing
· Occupational pension schemes, pension fund administration, retirement benefits schemes, superannuation funds
· Register and transfer agencies
· Treasury management
· Ship and aircraft registration
· And such other financial business activities as may be specified by the FSC.
Benefits of GBC 1:
· Low tax rate & Generous tax credit
· Access to tax treaties
· No withholding tax on dividends, interest
· Free repatriation of profits, capital and interest
· No estate duty, inheritance, wealth or gift tax